Wednesday, February 15, 2017

Gearing UP for Ultraneering

Gearing UP for Ultraneering


photo by Gavin Woody / Ultraneering.comby Ras Vaughan

Big Impossible Sounding Ideas

There’s a particular type of ill-advised, hare-brained scheme that resonates with me on a fundamental level. When an adventure of this sort first presents itself, whether via outside influence or internal genesis, I experience both a physical and mental response. The physical response includes the sound of blood rushing in my ears, chills up and down my spine, sharpening and narrowing of my vision, and racing heart. Mentally my response is along the lines of, “That sounds impossible. I have to give it a try.” I’ve come to think of projects of this sort as Big Impossible Sounding Ideas.

As intimidating as they may seem at first conception, I’ve learned over the years that Big Impossible Sounding Ideas can be deconstructed into smaller and smaller component parts. Those parts can then be evaluated and explicated until a way is found to make each of them possible. Then all of those little possibilities can be reassembled to make that Big Impossible Sounding Idea not only a possibility but a reality. This is a process which can take months or even years to run its course while my brain chews on the problem, evaluating information, formulating and reformulating plans, and passively letting possibilities bounce around my skull to see if any of them take root. And once I decide that something is humanly possible, the all-consuming question for me then becomes, “Am I the Human Being to do it?” That’s exactly how things played out when I first heard about Chad Kellogg’s idea for the Mount Rainier Infinity Loop.

The Cowlitz Connection and the Mount Rainier Infinity Loop

In 2015 Richard Kresser and I attempted a project I had dreamed up to combine the 93 mile Wonderland Trail around the base of Mount Rainier with a traverse of the summit. It’s not hyperbole to say that Mount Rainier is responsible for making me the man I am today, and I find myself continually drawn to it, persistently pursuing new ways to experience the mountain as completely as possible …

Read the entire article on the Altra Running Blog.

photo by Ras/UltraPedestrian.com


1 comment:

  1. Greetings! I don't mean to spam up your comments section, but I couldn't find a another contact address.
    Anyhow, I have been inspired by your adventures for quite a while now. I do a good bit of running myself, and I also have dreadlocks, which brings me to my question: Do you have any tips or tricks for preventing neck pain? I have been running with "heavy hair" for years, but recently I have been struggling with stiffness in the neck and upper back. I can still run and bike, etc., but I figured I sould consult an expert, so here I am. Any advice or ideas you could pass along would be appreciated. Keep doing what you guys do - I love reading about it. Peace, Ben (benbeewilson@gmail.com)

    ReplyDelete